Home > By-pass
The Ottawa River offers an efficient by-pass system to circumvent obstacles to navigation, such as rapids and dams. The system consists of state-of-the-art hydraulic trailers and trucks that lift your vessel onto a platform and transport it safely by road to the launching site on the other side of the obstacle. The traveling time varies from 20 to 50 minutes.
How to make a lift reservation
You can book a reservation for one site only or for all sites you plan to use. Reservations must be planned 24 hours in advance. Just call 1-866-224-5244 and provide your name, telephone number, estimated arrival time and length of vessel.
Types of crafts accommodated
The by-pass system can handle many types of recreational crafts:
- Cruisers up to 30 – 32 feet in length
- Pontoon boats up to 28 feet
- Fishing boats, PWC
- Sailboats with retractable masts and keels
- Weight not to exceed 12,000 lbs
- Boats exceeding 8 feet 6 inches (2.60 meters) in width require a special transportation permit billed to the client.
Unfortunately, due to clearance and trailer design, houseboats or sailboats not equipped with retractable keels and quick-stepping masts cannot be accommodated.
Following is a list of the by-pass sites:
- Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario – By-pass, adjacent to Quyon Ferry and above Chat's Dam. Lavergne Bay – Call Peter at 613-978-5244, or Jay at 613-282-6559
- Portage-du-Fort and Bryson, Quebec – Call Gerry at 819-689-2693
- Chichester and Desjardinsville, Quebec – Call Gerry 819-689-2693
- Rapides-des-Joachims, Swisha, Quebec –Call Roger Paquette or Rémi Fortin 613 281-3537
- Mattawa – Ontario
- Temiscaming – Quebec
All by-pass sites have modern docks, concrete ramps and select sites have additional amenities available to make over-nighting at the docks more convenient.
Trailer Service List
Rideau or Lower Ottawa:
A hydraulic trailer service is available from/to Merrickville, Manotick, Dow’s Lake and the Lower Ottawa River at Petrie Island Marina to Dick Bell Park in West Ottawa.
Call 613-978-5244 or 613-282-6559, or 613-832-1414
Pembroke and upper Ottawa
For hydraulic trailer service above Pembroke, Ontario and in the Province of Quebec, call 613 585-7752
- Fiztroy Harbour Ontario by-pass, adjacent to Quyon Ferry and above Chat's Dam. Lavergne Bay (Ontario)
- Portage-du-Fort and Bryson (Quebec)
- Chichester and Desjardinsville (Quebec)
- Rapides-des-Joachims, (or Swisha, Quebec)